Monday, November 4, 2013

Chicken Corn Chowder

The missionaries are coming over for dinner tonight.  We have 4 missionaries (2 sisters, 2 elders) and we try to invite another couple in the ward to join us on these nights. I figure if I'm cleaning the house, cooking dinner and getting things ready for 4 people, might as well make it 6!

So, what do you serve a large crowd on a chilly November night?  Chicken Corn Chowder!!!  This is originally Rachel's recipe and it is delish.  I didn't have all the right ingredients so I had to make some adjustments and I'll note those here.  I've made the original and it is wonderful.  My substitutions worked great too.  You really can't mess this up too much.  The picture does not do it justice!  It really is so good.



by Rachel Hubbard

2 cans cream of potato soup**
2 chicken bullion cubes
2 cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 bag frozen corn
3 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped**
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups half & half**

Combine all but the half & half into the crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours.  Add the half & half and cook another 30 minutes until heated through.  Serve with yummy warm rolls.

**I didn't have potato soup, celery or half & half and I was doubling the recipe.  I used 4 cans of cream of chicken soup, 1 bag of frozen corn and 1 can of corn, 1/2 tsp of celery seed, 3 cups of skim milk.  Since I didn't have the potato soup, I cut up 5 potatoes to add to the soup.  I also added some ham (about 1 cup of diced) and 1/2 onion, finely diced which gave it a wonderful flavor.  I cooked it on high for an hour to get the potatoes cooked through and then turned it to low for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: